Brosteins

Developers, Technology Evangelists, Bros.

The NativeScript Book

Today is a very exciting day for myself and Mike because our book, The NativeScript Book, is finally released! The best part is that it’s available online now available online now, for free, from Telerik! If an eBook isn’t your thing then print copies will be available soon on Amazon.

I’d like to take a quick moment and thank my family, my brother Mike, and the entire NativeScript community for supporting us throughout the entire book writing process. Writing The NativeScript Book was a struggle at times, but I’m very proud to put my name on it and I hope it helps everyone that reads it create their first NativeScript app! To find out more about The NativeScript Book take a look here.

The NativeScript Book

13 comments for “The NativeScript Book

1. Sa'ad
    September 18, 2017 at 10:14 am

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your efforts in order to reinforce the content of the great NativeScript framework

• September 18, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading The NativeScript Book. Feel free to let your friends at Telerik and NativeScript know.

2. Jason
    September 18, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Congrats guys!

• September 18, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Thank you, Jason. Your feedback on the early chapters helped us write a better book!

3. Michael
    September 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Wow – looks great. Is this available in epub format?

• September 20, 2017 at 7:45 am

We’ll have an ePub version soon. Thanks.

• Michael
        September 20, 2017 at 11:28 am

Great! If you get the chance, please update this thread when it becomes available.

4. Chris
    September 22, 2017 at 7:13 am

This book is a real gift – thank you!

Just started with NativeScript when I saw the announcement that this was out. My expectations were that it would likely be pretty rough in terms of quality, but given where I was on the learning curve it would probably be helpful. Talk about wrong expectations! I am not quite half way thru and finding items of value on basically every page.

I look forward to picking up the epub version as the kindle won’t let me bookmark/take notes on the pdf.

Great stuff. Thank you again.

5. Jason Belcher
    September 26, 2017 at 10:35 am

I’m going through this book now for work and I think it is excellent! One thing I would note is that in the book examples around chapter eight use an older deprecated syntax of initializing Observables. example: new observable.Observable({}) instead as of NativeScript 3.0 use fromObject({}) to create new observable objects. It took me a while to figure out why the finished example on their github page was working just fine and why the incremental examples in the book displayed a blank page. See the api [docs](https://docs.nativescript.org/api-reference/classes/_data_observable_.observable.html)

6. Laurens
    October 6, 2017 at 11:39 am

Hi guys,

Page 165, the 8.19 listing contains an error i guess…
    the vars: emptyScrapbookPage, filledScrapbookPage, and scrapbook are created from observable.Observable({ … })
    Shouldn’t that be observable.fromObject({ … })

Grtz.

• Laurens
      October 6, 2017 at 11:42 am

Sorry, was to quick… it’s on discourse already…

thx guys

• October 8, 2017 at 10:04 am

Yes, you are correct. We’re working to update the book and associated source code. Thank you!